Saturday, March 4, 2017

It's Okay to Ask

Genesis 38 has this story:

27 When the time came for her to give birth, there were twin boys in her womb. 28 As she was giving birth, one of them put out his hand; so the midwife took a scarlet thread and tied it on his wrist and said, “This one came out first.”29 But when he drew back his hand, his brother came out,and she said, “So this is how you have broken out!” And he was named Perez.[a] 30 Then his brother, who had the scarlet thread on his wrist, came out. And he was named Zerah.

So is this even possible? For two babies to both be in the birth canal together? For a baby to STICK ITS HAND OUT, then for its twin to be born first? I am thinking breech, strangulation, broken bones... and one enormous birth passageway! 

I'm not trying to be sarcastic- I'm serious. There are so many "Big Fish" Old Testament stories. I was taught to take the Bible literally. But couldn't some of these be tales of wisdom, to make a point? Or folklore, passed down verbally through generations before it was finally written down in the version into which it had evolved?

Don't get me wrong- I love me some Bible and have the utmost respect for it as the Word of God.

I just have come to believe that it's ok to ask questions. God is LOVE. (I John 4:8) I believe He loves questions because they are evidence of a desire to learn.

Just for some lagniappe, and because I love definitions and meanings:

  1. Genesis 38:29 Perez means breaking out.
  2. Genesis 38:30 Zerah can mean scarlet or brightness.