Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Others

Still reading in Genesis, I began to wonder how the term "Hebrew" came to refer to the descendants of Abraham.  The internet is a wonderful library at our fingertips, isn't it?  πŸ˜Š

Skipping all the Wiki-results... I came upon THIS site.  What I took away from the article I read there was that the word "Hebrew" means "other."  The "other" who stands on the opposing side of an issue; the "other" who has different standards and practices for their faith and their life.  "Other" meaning separate - different - distinguished.

Image result for division between people

When I was in youth group in the church I went to during my high school and college years, we were taught a lot of absolutes and firm convictions by which we were to live.  We were taught no sex before marriage, no drinking, no listening to secular music, etcetera... and we were taught to stand firm, and having done all, to stand.  We were taught "NO COMPROMISE."

Image result for clip art fences between people

I did my best to follow those to the letter and, as such, did indeed stand as a "Hebrew" in most situations in life.  I didn't form any close friendships with "worldly" people; my homies were at church; people with the same belief foundation as that on which I stood.

Now, looking back with the knowledge I have gained during my 25 or so years since then, there are a few things I wish I had done differently.  Like, if your calling is to spread the love and truth of Christ, then you need to embed yourself among people who need those things... and you need to demonstrate God's love with your life and actions; not just with words and awkward... almost condemning... stares.

Image result for clip art reaching across fences

I am glad I was taught those foundational principles, though.  Maybe I was the "weirdo" in a lot of situations among "non-Christians" - including anyone raised in any denominational church who had not been born again according to the standards of the church where I was rooted.  But, as far as me, and setting aside what effect I may or may have not had on anyone else during school, I am truly grateful for my foundations.

Image result for clip art firm place to stand

Foundations give us a place to stand.

Foundations help us to define WHO WE ARE and WHAT WE STAND FOR.

Of course, high school and college end and.. life happens...

I am a different kind of "other" now.  I'm glad I was taught to define my beliefs and cling strongly to them.

I do listen to secular music now, as well as Christian music, a lot of NPR and mostly books on CD that I rent from the library.  I have gained an appreciation for a good beer and have indulged in a few good tokes before, as well.  Are you shocked?  LOL

I am in an intimate relationship; there are no wedding rings yet, but we are committed and both love God and have our own relationships with God.  We also pray together, often.  We find strength and love in God, both separately and together.

Another thing is, my relationship partner is a female like I am.  That's just how my life unfolded.  Guys are cool; I like them as friends, I love my brothers and uncles and male cousins, I have guy-buddies at work, etcetera... but I am neither attracted nor drawn to them past platonic involvement.  I am not a man-hating lesbian; I am simply a lesbian who tries to love all people with God's love... and loves one person named Lena in particular.  πŸ˜‰

Image result for clip art love one another

The POINT being, that now I am an "other" to most mainstream Christians.

But I feel strongly, that is OK.  If God wanted us all the same, we would have all been made the same.

If there were no "other"s... how monotonous would this world be?  I have learned to appreciate meeting people from different backgrounds, cultures, races, different "norms" and even different faiths.  Differences make life RICH.  (And, to speak briefly from a somewhat political stump, I am pro-immigration, pro-refugee, and respectful of the many, many peaceful Muslims living among us and around world.)

Image result for clip art diversity

I don't mean that we need to believe the same as everyone else or that we need to change ourselves to belong to a different group of people.  Stand firm in who YOU are; that way you have a solid "YOU" to offer to other folks.  Be open to learning, and be open to making adjustments/corrections when you see that you are in error but, mainly, focus on being and remaining a strong "you."

Image result for clip art strong self identity

We can be strong enough within ourselves to not need border walls between ourselves and other... just sayin'... 😁

Image result for clip art mexican border wall

My POINT:  

1.  Let's determine who we are.  Let's establish our own foundations.  In so doing, yes, we will stand out as "others" sometimes, but self-identification is important to being a strong, healthy-minded individual.

2.  Let us NOT be so "other" that we refuse to love or reach out to people who are "others" to us.

3.  Let's make a concerted effort, in fact, to get to know "others" - to befriend others, sincerely and not just as a personal social science experiment - invite them into our worlds and accept invitations into their worlds.

We will ALL grow as a result.  Plus, the more love you put out there, the more love you find coming back to you in your life as a whole.

Image result for clip art love everyone

After all, Jesus loves the "others."  He even stated clearly:

"Love one anOTHER.  As I have loved you, so love one anOTHER."

So let's be us.  Let's not be afraid to be the "other" when something conflicts with our beliefs.  BUT, let's do so with an attitude of love, not condescension.  No force in this world is more powerful than love.

Finally, as my friend Amber said at the end of a Crossfit class the other day..

"NAMASTE, Y'ALL!"

Image result for clip art female crossfit coach


Have a great Saturday and a great weekend!