Thursday, March 2, 2017

The OPEN... and Why I Am Not

You need to see THIS VIDEO to understand what I mean when I say "The Open."

As I have learned, the worldwide CrossFit community has this annual 5-week event.  One workout a week for 5 weeks in which your score is recorded, posted, and you are ranked among every participant on Earth.

Which is fine, I can deal with knowing that out of every well-honed, tightly-toned athlete on the planet, I would rank somewhere far toward the bottom.  I am a "freshman" at this, and I do my best, and that is good.  (I had this recently reinforced from the February 25 entry in Melody Beattie's The Language of Letting Go.  I call this my "sanity" book and have found great stability and comfort in what it has to say.  I recommend it!)

So what I do, doing my best, is good enough for me.  It's actually great, actually excellent!

BUT... this "Open" thing... the workouts are KILLER, and we have only seen Week 1!  I am excited to learn with everyone else what each week's workout will be, and excited to see the rankings of people I know from Geaux Crossfit on the leaderboard.

The highest ranking individual for week one was a guy from, I believe, Copenhagen.  His name is Nicolai Duus and he completed this entire workout in NINE MINUTES AND FORTY-ONE SECONDS.

To put this in perspective, one of the fittest leaders in my CrossFit is a woman who finished in 17 minutes, 3 seconds.  She ranks 76th among just the female competitors in Louisiana, and 11733rd among females worldwide.

Probably the fittest guy I have ever known, who is here in Baton Rouge, finished in 14:59, ranks 88th among males in Louisiana and 9979th among males world.

That is amazing.

Have you watched the video?  After you watch it, you will need to catch your breath and chug a bottle of water.  Seriously.

Just wanted to share this with you guys because I find it so interesting and cool!

Maybe I will sign up next year.  💪

Happy Thursday!!