Saturday, August 2, 2008

My Sweet Baby Luna

Something awful happened today. It was Avery's 3rd birthday party and everything was going great... then, out of nowhere, my brother's PITBULL attacked Luna. It was terrifying and horrible... one of those pieces of time that seems to move in slow motion with an echoing effect. Nilla had Luna by the head and would not let go... Luna was yelping and trying to fight back but was unable to escape. I started kicking at Nilla... my dad ran over and tried to tug her off of Luna... and my uncle, bless his heart, started swatting at Nilla with the colorful little toy stick Avery and Abel had just used to break open a pinata.

Finally Daddy got Nilla off of Lu, and I took her and left. Straight to the vet, good people, who know Luna by name and are always sweet to her... we got there about 30 minutes before their Saturday closing time and she went right in.

Basically the vet said her wounds were mostly superficial; meaning, nothing was gashed or punctured and no organs were hanging out... nothing was ripped open... I've heard of pitbulls tearing up the faces of other animals or even people... Luna has a tear in one ear, a little less intense gnawing was done on the other ear... she has cuts and bites on her legs and paws, and one of her elbows is very torn up. She is hobbling on 3 feet.

They gave her an injection of antibiotic and a prescription po bid for the next 10 days. They said it was best to leave the wounds open and let them heal naturally so they could drain... and it stinks... and I'm keeping Neosporin on her ears but when I put it anywhere else she just licks it off.

Carrie says I can give her a little acetominophen to help the pain and I will do that tomorrow.

My stomach is still all twisted up in knots from what went on today. I'm lying on the recliner in the living room... I made Luna a pallet with a blanket so she might not hurt quite as much but she - clumsily and miserably - hobbled into the bathroom earlier to lie on the floor where I was rather than be stuck in the other end of the house from me all night... but I don't know if I can stay in here because I smell her wounds and it's making me feel a little sick. We'll see.

I took pictures. They're gross and disgusting but I have to share them as medical documentation of what happened to my dog. I am so spun out over this whole thing. I cried on the phone to Carrie earlier, upset that Luna is SO hurt and there is nothing I can do to fix it.

Luna's ear was torn a little. And the tops of her front legs and her chest. Her front left leg. Her paw. And the underside of her elbow.

I am disgusted, horrified, and very upset. Mostly I hate that my dog is hurt. I prayed over her this evening and asked God to heal her with significant, noticeable improvements when I check on her in the morning.

Poor thing. I had to carry her down the steps from the front porch so she could go potty before bedtime. She is lethargic and miserable and did not eat at all today. I need to call the vet back on Monday if she still is refusing food.

My sweet baby girl. We will not be visiting Nilla again, ever. They used to play together and just be the best of pals... but I'd heard before that sometimes the sweetest pitbull will sometimes just snap. Fuck that. I'm going to take very good care of my puppydog and we will go play with respectable dogs at dog park when she gets better, if she needs some playmates.

This was her earlier... now she's lying on a folded, soft blanket and I hope she gets good rest. My sweet Miss Lu.