Monday, March 11, 2019

"Chara" Means "Joy"... So What Does "Joy" Mean?

"Chara" is a Greek word that means "joy."  



Image result for clip art joy
The word "chara" is used 59 times in the Bible.  (All in the New Testament, because the New Testament was originally written in Greek.  The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew.)

Here are a few good examples verses that, originally, use "chara" --

 



Like I said, just a few good examples.  You can find all 59 occurrences of "chara" HERE; scroll down to get to the list.  You can even choose which version of the Bible you would like to read.

My favorite version of the Bible is the New Living Translation (NLT).  In the NLT, "chara" is translated into several English words:

joy - excitement - celebrate - rejoice - joyfully - joyful - happy - delighted - enjoyable

You don't hear the word "joy" used much in conversation these days.  My thought is, the reason is that the ORIGIN of joy is not discussed very much.  In the Bible, the first use of "chara" is in reference to Jesus.

I don't say that in a lofty way; more in a factual way.  The first time the word "chara" is used in the actual, physical Bible is in Matthew chapter 2 verse 10.  That verse tells about the wise men sent to look for newborn baby Jesus, seeing the star that led them to the Livestock Motel 6 where he had just been born.

But I digress... let's talk about what joy IS, what the word "joy" means and implies, and how it can be applied to everyday real life.
Image result for clip art joy

(For this next section, I am copying the numbered information from THIS SITE.)  (The italicized little snippets of rhyme are brand-new originals from yours truly.)

1.  Joy is a feeling of inner gladness, delight or rejoicing.

Happiness inside
A smile I don't need to hide
Quietly I glow
Like there's a secret only I know

2.  Joy... is virtually always used to signify a feeling of "happiness" that is based on spiritual realities (and independent of what "happens").

What happens is what's going on
Feelings determine what's right and wrong
But, if I dig a little deeper,
I reach the flow, the source, the "go"
For my eternal song

3.  Joy is... a depth of assurance and confidence that ignites a cheerful heart. It is a cheerful heart that leads to cheerful behavior.
Image result for clip art cheerful

No acting required
No faking that's making me tired
This is deep and genuine
This is real; it's how I feel
I dance because I am alive

The list I just gave is from a paragraph that is longer and has several more ways of describing joy.

My favorite is how it alludes to joy (chara) being the deep, steady source of true happiness.  "Faking happy" is not joy; it is acting, it takes effort to pull off, and it will leave you more miserable that you were before you started your off-Broadway production.  Leave all that alone, man!  

(Seriously.  Don't try to fake it til you make it.  All that will do is make you tired and grouchy.  And, as we all know, faking happy is exponentially more difficult when you're feeling cantankerous.)
Image result for oscar the grouch clipart

My other favorite thing about the word "chara" is its translation into the phrase "calm delight."  I first heard of the concept of calm delight from Joyce Meyer, and it really rings true with me.

Image result for clip art bubbling brook

Calm delight is steady and centered.  Calm delight denotes stability; it represents rock-solid strength.

When you feel centered and strong, you are not worried.  The lack of worry makes way for true joy.  Deep and strong joy; not just emotional happiness or giddiness which can come and go with the wind.

I particularly like the way Joyce Meyer describes calm delight.  Wishing you joy and unending inner peace, I will leave you with her words found HERE.





JOYCE MEYER – EXPERIENCE JOY AS A CALM DELIGHT

I have told you these things, that My joy and delight may be in you, and that your joy and gladness may be of full measure and complete and overflowing. —John 15:11
Are you like some believers who think that in order to be filled with the joy of the Lord they must be turned on, fired up, and superhyped?
God wants your joy to be full and complete, but that doesn’t mean you have to swing from chandeliers!
Some define joy as “hilarity,” and there is some basis for that definition. But according to Strong’s Concordance, the Greek word chara, translated joy in the above verse, means “calm delight.”
My husband, Dave, likens this calm delight to a bubbling brook that just flows along quietly and peacefully, bringing refreshment to everything and everyone along its path. Doesn’t that sound appealing?
Of course there will be times when your joy will be supercharged and exciting, but most of the time we will live with a simple “calm delight.”
Image result for clip art calm delight