Saturday, August 1, 2015

Senility: Sweet or Sour?

Increasingly, I am finding myself not oriented to time or date or place. Its just every now and then, and it only lasts for a moment, but I find it unsettling. I wonder if that is what it's like to have Alzheimer's. I worry about Alzheimers, maybe more often than I should, but my grandmother has it... and my neuropsychologist said that I am at greater risk to developing Alzheimer's because of the traumatic brain injury I experienced when I was 16. Coma, hemiparesis, amnesia, the whole nine yards; it was grand.

Anyway, back to Alzheimer's. I wonder if Alzheimer's patients live their lives bouncing from state to state of disorientation. I wonder if it's scary, or if they just don't care because they just don't know.

I wanted to go ahead and document this as I experience it so that, just in case I end up with Alzheimer's one day, haha... there will be a record of the path I took to get there.

Sometimes I will be in a bathroom stall at work and I'll look up and it will take me a minute to remember where I am and which building I'm in. Sometimes, I wake up and I'm not sure which day it is. I know this is probably very common but I just wanted to make note of it. Sometimes it's like I'm waking up from a dream and things are foggy. I have to sort out what's real and what's not.

I hope I'm not over-dramatizing this. It only happens... maybe less than once a day... and the state only lasts a few seconds. Just documenting, for my own purposes, and maybe for the purposes of someone else someday. Who knows?

I bet some might say, "Oh, that's normal, that's just part of life," but this is MY life... and I'm just recording my thoughts.

I heard a program on the radio the other day that discussed all these new, different strategies to strengthen your brain and to fend off senility. Basically what they said was, most of that theory is bunk and the best way to fend off senility is to stay involved with social groups and join in activities with other people.

My opinion? Everyone has their theory. And I think that I could do every one of these suggested preventitive techniques and it may or may not help... But what I know I can trust is the faithfulness of God. So, as I experience life and attempt to document my experiences as precisely as possible, I am also trying to continually give it up to God and trust that He will take care of me no matter what happens to my physical body.