Sunday, January 16, 2011

River Rat

Yes, I truly feel like a genuine river rat now. We have moved into the lovely area known as LaPlace. Very close to Newco and something along the lines of New Narby. We live right on the river road, looking out the window at the levee to the great Mississippi River.

Our accommodations are somewhat less than glamorous. This is a one-bedroom mobile home with scratched, squeaky floors, gaps between the tops of the bedroom and bathroom doors and their respective ceilings, scratched paneling and complete with the stereotypically appropriate, yes, aluminum foil on the bottom halves of all the windows.

BUT!! It's actually nice. It's C and me and alllllllll our kids under one roof which is much bigger than the extended stay hotel room we had thought we might end up living in for a few months. There is no one unwelcome and no on-site judgmentalism.

No more sloppy, no more sink full of chummy dishes, no more "Can I borrow your car to drive to Murphy's to pay for a pack of cigarettes with $3 in change?" No more lazy anything to resent.

I do miss Abel. A lot. But I think I'm gonna stay away from the homestead for awhile, outside of going to collect the rest of my belongings, at least until my family expresses any faint degree of interest in where I went, where I am living, and if I am ok.

They won't. I don't think. But whatever.

I wish I could have contact with my sweet nephews and not have to go through my family to get to them. But that's just how things work, which is logical... just expressing a feeling.

Another drawback is the length of my commute to and from work and the cost of gasoline to do that... but it will all work out, in the words of my wonderfully sweet Ma-Ma.

Good points: access and proximity to the previously-mentioned levee, a new, totally new area to live in and explore with my sweet Luna, weekly rent to be split with C, distance from my family and all the crap that comes with them (though I do love them... just need some space), AND the close-by Bonne Carre Spillway. We can sho have some fun down by the water, yes indeed!

I have to change my facebook name now... from Stray Cat to River Rat. hahaha

Love it. Life is good. Today, life is good. Gonna take this one day at a time and let each day be good on its own. Worrying too far into the future is way too heavy.