Wednesday, December 31, 2008

From a Saint to a Cowboy to a Steeler

Well! Last weekend, Carrie flew me up to Pittsburgh for the weekend. I loved seeing her and had a great time. It is beautiful up there; that's the farthest north I've been in the U.S. I would love to go back.

Lots of airport drama, including having a cancelled connecting flight in Philadelphia, on my way home Sunday. Contrary to that TV show, it is NOT always sunny in Philadelphia, heh... it was grey and very windy... but I did get a free hotel room and a meal. Sweet. I spent the night Benadryled-up, watching HBO movies on a very large bed. I felt like crap and still feel like crap... or "toasted shit," as I told Carrie today. It's "Sinuses Gone Wild!!" hehe...

There were bridges and rivers all over the place.

I know, I probably totally looked the tourist, taking pictures of everything... it was just so nice and even REFRESHING, to see something besides flat Louisiana.

Carrie and I went out to West Deer Township where her grandmoher's house is. It kind of felt like an in-the-sticks place but it really wasn't far from civilization.

Saturday night, though, Carrie took me out in downtown Pittsburgh to Mount Washington. It was beautiful, and the most romantic evening I've ever had in my life. True dat.

At dinner, Carrie asked me to wear her grandmother's ring. I cried, and have not taken it off once since then. So wonderful... I have never been this much in love and it's exciting to know that she feels exactly the same way. Love is such a precious thing, and I do not take it lightly. My breath has been permanently taken away.

After that, we went to Moondog's in Blawnox, PA. Carrie worked as a bartender there, years ago, and again recently when she had to spend awhile up there. They have all kinds of great live music. That night, a guy called Guitar Zack was playing. He was INCREDIBLE. Here is Guitar Zack:

There are dog caricatures painted all around the place, representing musicians who've played there and also the regulars... it really has kind of a "Cheers" atmosphere. ("NORM!!") hehe

And that sag in the ceiling is a hole that Moondog himself just will not fix... but still the people come... it makes for conversation if nothing else.

Ooh, here's me! Damn if I don't just show up everywhere, like the traveling gnome... heh...

We might be gathering all the "kids" and going to stay up in Pittsburgh for awhile together while Carrie handles details with her grandmother's estate. I love my girl. Circumstances sometimes make curves in the road of life but, as long as you're walking it with someone you love, it's all good. I love my Carrie Lynn.