Saturday, August 23, 2008

Waiting for the Paint to Erode

...That's actually what I'm doing... waiting. I found this pretty decent-looking end table upside down out by the curb in someone's front yard along with their trash. Did a little favor to the parish trash peeps and picked that up for them. One of the legs was loose and there were a few scratches, a few swollen places on top that looked like water had stood there awhile. I had spotted the table on a walk with Luna. When I got home, Rocco was the one who went back with me and served as my accomplice in retrieving said artifact.

Got it home and inside where, once I tightened a screw underneath the table, the loose leg was el-fixo and voila, perfectly good table. Only now I'm stripping it to fix the facial malformities. (And yes, to the more than one of you who voiced concern last time I did a project like this, I am using newspaper this time.)

I will re-varnish this lil bebe and sell her on the black market AKA Craig's List. *grin* Nice lil source of pocket change.

Ever since then, when I drive around in my partially-ghetto neighborhood, I keep my eyes open. People have an unimaginable variety of junk out by the curb all the time. I enjoy fixing things up. I also enjoy making sales.

Rocco is out here with me on the front porch where I've been working. I told him this was great because Jesus worked with wood, too. He wasn't particularly interested in that topic of discussion, instead preferring to scream at people... or other birds... or... just nothing, possibly enjoying the sound of his voice echoing off Tiger Stadium in the distance, heh...

Guess I need to get back to work. It's time to try the scraper and see if things have loosened up enough to be cleared away. That's the nice thing about wood; you can paint it, stain it, scratch it, whatever... but a little effort is all it takes to completely redo the whole thing.

If it's too broken, you might just have to make it into something new, which is another opportunity for creativity. Or... if there's no other feasible option... you know... firewood... *GRIN*

Peace and fleas with knobby knees!