Sunday, March 19, 2017

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep

Laying in bed... need to go to sleep soon but have had a few things bouncing around in my mind all day that I wanted to get down.

First of all, I feel uncomfortable about that recent post about my church.  It is a good church, with a good pastor.  I do, sometimes, wish I could be invisible; just go and leave with no one the wiser.  But that has to do with ME.  And the different stances taken on hot-button issues... that's just stuff.  The point of gathering together is PEOPLE.  And, as firm as my position may be on this or that topic, the point of calling oneself open-minded includes being willing to interact with people whose ideas are different from your own.  I'm saying a lot of words here... my point is, I'm no better or worse than anyone who stands on the opposing side of any issue.  I'm sleepy.  I just feel like sometimes I want to go back to church, more than at other times.

Just trying to stay open and honest.  My thoughts and opinions are constantly evolving.  You could read things I've written years apart and find contradictions.  It doesn't mean I'm a liar.  I like to think it shows me as real, honest and open.

Anyway.  Today I finished reading the Book of Genesis.  Yeah, took me 2 1/2 months, but I did it at my own pace and I learned more from going slowly.  Here was my thought today:  I am feeling resistant to starting the book of Exodus.  Genesis was about beginnings, growth, the building of families and the roots of the nation of Israel.

Exodus looms before me, holding stories of very hard times, of God's work and miracles, yet done among a disbelieving mass of people who seemed to bitch and moan more than anything.  Hard times and struggles... that lead to growth, and that open a window to God's faithfulness and loyalty even in the face of our negativity.  As I write this, the wall I sensed between myself and Exodus is thinning.  It will be good.  The whole Bible is good; I just need to take it a little at a time.  As I read, I try to individualize moments in people's lives... to imagine what they might have thought or felt, and sometimes see how that might apply to me or to people as a whole.

Sorry if this blog entry is plagued with typos; I am blurry-eyed sleepy.

I will leave you with this bit of scripture that has been in and out of my thoughts all day today.  It's from Isaiah:

"Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold, I am doing a new thing!  Even now it springs forth; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the wilderness and springs in the desert."

I would like to write tomorrow on some thoughts I had about those words.  Such good stuff.  I've been in and out of the Bible since I was a little girl and still, as I read things over and over, I get new stuff out of it.

God is good.  Forget that tomorrow is Monday.  Tomorrow is a brand new day God has for us each, full or opportunities.  Let's go at it excited.  Love y'all... good night!

PS - I haven't forgotten; posting my St. Patrick's Day Parade pictures- that's still in my mental queue.

Selah and shalom.  Rest in God's love.  Remember... God's love permeates any discriminatory lines or boundaries established by people... God's love is weightier than any rules or doctrines set up by people... God loves you just the way you are, right where you are, right now.  No strings attached.

Snuggle up in that.  :-)  Good night!

Image result for happy starry night