Sunday, January 15, 2017

Bird on a Roof, Bird on a Wire, Bird Flying Free

Genesis 6:4 - "...for whenever the sons of God had intercourse with women, they gave birth to children who became the heroes and famous warriors of ancient times."

I have no idea what this means, or whether there is any other recorded history of these "sons of God" - what that title meant, who they were or from where they came.  ("Class??  Anyone?  Anyone??")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My grandmother passed away yesterday morning in the wee hours.  Her services are Tuesday.  It's going to be hard but I will get through it.  Lena will be with me.  Jesus will be all over the place in that gathering.  My prayer is for a peaceful, beautiful service honoring this amazing woman's life.  No family drama.  I said a most earnest and sincere prayer on that topic earlier this morning.  God, let your Spirit settle like a heavy dew on all in attendance to weigh us all down in quiet reverence and deposit a calm joy in our hearts.

This the scripture that came to mind soon after I learned she had passed... Psalm 127:4 - "Our soul has escaped as a bird out of the snare of the trapper; The snare is broken and we have escaped."

My sweet Ma-Ma has escaped the confinement of her elderly body and is now flying free!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, back to Genesis...

Genesis 6:19-20 - "Bring a pair of every kind of animal - a male and a female - into the boat with you to keep them alive during the flood.  Pairs of every kind of bird, and every kind of animal, and every kind of small animal that scurries along the ground, will come to you to be kept alive."

Then...

Genesis 7:2-3 - "Take with you seven pairs - male and female - of each animal I have approved for eating and sacrifice, and take pair of each of the others.  Also take seven pairs of every kind of bird.  There must be a male and female in each pair to ensure that all life will survive on the earth after the flood."

That confused me at first; the switch from one pair to seven pairs.  But now I see, they needed extra of the animals for sacrifice and to eat.  I mean, I guess the food prepared for sacrifice was eaten after the ceremony.  There were no priests yet at that time, but that's just my thought.

7:21-23 - "All the living things on earth died - birds, domestic animals, wild animals, small animals that scurry along the ground, and all the people.  Everything that breathed and lived on dry land died.  God wiped out every living thing on the earth - people, livestock, small animals that scurry along the ground, and the birds of the sky.  All were destroyed.  The only people who survived were Noah and those with him in the boat."

So we read the same thing in three consecutive verses.  Making a point

I told Lena I guessed the birds just flew around above the water until their little wings gave out.

Then I said, I bet there were birds sitting all over the roof of that ark!  haha  But really... I bet that happened.

'Cause if one'a dem birds was ME, ma cher, DISyere bird woulda done set down on dat RUFF, yea!

Image result for clip art bird on roof

Speaking of birds, here's a GOOD SONG from back in the day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remain grateful for prayers for my family and me as we process the loss of my sweet Ma-Ma Lovett.

Thanks, my friends.