Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Preparing for Aging

I have started taking a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) that addresses our perspectives on aging.  One of the early videos in this class suggests we keep a journal or blog during this course to keep track of our ideas and how those might change.

So you might be hearing from me, from time to time, about my ideas on getting old.

One of the first ideas that was brought up was the idea of what life will be like in the year 2040; in other words, they suggested making a 25-year plan.  I'll admit I hadn't seriously thought that far ahead before.

I am scared of developing Alzheimer's.  That's just me being real.  I am genetically predisposed to Alzheimers and, also, my Neuropsychologist Dr. John Bolter has told me that my 1992 Traumatic Brain Injury puts me on the fast track to a high spot on the Alzheimer's likelihood list.  Nice.  I hope I have someone to take care of me then.

Getting old scares me.  This class ought to bring me a big dose of reality and, hopefully, I will be able to work out a few of my own personal issues so that I have a lot more peace moving forward.

Later.  :)

Picture from:  http://www.alzheimer.ca/en/montreal/We-can-help/Respite%20and%20Stimulation/Art%20Therapy/Art%20Therapy%20workshops