Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Bus, the Bike and Me

So, today I have a story to tell. This is the true tale of how my car just... quit... on me, and how I have now become a faithful patron of the Baton Rouge. Capital Area Transit System.

To make the telling easier, and to make the story a little more fun to read, I have used the help of my friend Will Smith... basically I rewrote the lyrics to "The Fresh Prince of BelAir."


Here you go... enjoy... hehe...

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I started ridin' the bus everywhere


At Albemarle, yeah, at the PDC
Is where I earn my dollars for my babies and me
The day passed by, 3:30 came my way
So I went in my car down Scenic Hwy
Then suddenly my car was up to no good
The radio turned off, engine under the hood
I took a quick little right and then my car died
So I pushed it cross the street to the other side


Thought I was out of gas so my friends gave me a ride
Fed her gas,she wouldn't start, jumped her off, she still died
My boss got behind me, pushed me all the way home
I parked my girl in the lot in the corner all alone


The car is not worth what it would cost to fix it
Even then, I could still get an inspection sticker ticket
Can't buy another car so I'll do what I must
And that's when I decided I'd start riding the bus


I got out my bike, put air in the tires
Forget that alternator, transmission and wires
Every morning I get up and on my bike I hop
And I pedal my way down to the local bus stop


For $56 I got a month-long bus pass
Called Progressive and told them to kiss my sassafrass
Got a Cert of Non-Use from the DMV
So now it's just us; I got my bike, my bus and me


In the meantime, I'm paying off the debt that I owe
For the car that won't start, yeah, the car that won't go
If anything I could say this is a learning experience
The muscles in my legs think I musta gone delirious


I get home every day 5:30 or 6
Do my best for my dog who just has to hold it
Get home, we go walkin' and she gets to pee
So there you have the story
Of the bike, the bus and me