Saturday, January 14, 2012

Psalm 35, as real today as when it was written

Hello there. Just read through this Psalm and wanted to share what I got out of it. So I will not be referencing the entire chapter, but part of it that stood out pointedly to me. This is the New Living Translation.

Psalm 35 A psalm of David.

7 I did them no wrong, but they laid a trap for me. I did them no wrong, but they dug a pit to catch me.

How many times have I felt that way?! And how many times have I longed for this next verse to happen:

8 So let sudden ruin come upon them! Let them be caught in the trap they set for me! Let them be destroyed in the pit they dug for me.

Much like I learned in Isaish 33 (?) this week... God will turn our enemies away from us and they will return using the same path by which they came.

10 With every bone in my body I will praise him: “LORD, who can compare with you? Who else rescues the helpless from the strong? Who else protects the helpless and poor from those who rob them?”

After reading this verse, I wrote in my journal, "WHY is that? So consistent in this world though it makes no sense. Yet the poor and needy are continually the ones who get robbed. **YET there is God's protection!"

11 Malicious witnesses testify against me. They accuse me of crimes I know nothing about.

I relate far too closely to this verse... from situation after situation in past bad relationships, usually involving drunkenness, sometimes mental illness, on behalf of these past partners. I have learned, though, through those situations, and strongly believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

13 Yet when they were ill, I grieved for them. I denied myself by fasting for them, but my prayers returned unanswered. 14 I was sad, as though they were my friends or family, as if I were grieving for my own mother. 15 But they are glad now that I am in trouble; they gleefully join together against me. I am attacked by people I don’t even know; they slander me constantly. 16 They mock me and call me names; they snarl at me.

This, to me, sounds on the brink of codependency... but it a very human and very real set of emotions. You bend over backward, sacrificially, to help someone, and they lash out at you just when you were thinking they would be thankful.

19 Don’t let my treacherous enemies rejoice over my defeat. Don’t let those who hate me without cause gloat over my sorrow. 20 They don’t talk of peace; they plot against innocent people who mind their own business. 21 They shout, “Aha! Aha! With our own eyes we saw him do it!”

SO unfair! And what, realistically, can you do in the face of that without getting down on the level of the ones coming against you? It's a very frustrating situation.

22 O LORD, you know all about this. Do not stay silent. Do not abandon me now, O Lord.

God DOES know the truth of our situations, and He WILL bring justice! Another thing is, my presupposition of what justice should or might entail is seldom what actually ends up taking place. But I'm always so glad... because God's ways are so much better! And He is infinitely smarter than me. :)

26 May those who rejoice at my troubles be humiliated and disgraced. May those who triumph over me be covered with shame and dishonor.

True, true... but THIS is the best part, this next part:

27 But give great joy to those who came to my defense."

I love my friends who help me through things, who know the whole situation and are completely on my side. I love when they are blessed for filling that role in my life. It's a role we all need filled! I am continually - and increasingly - grateful for my ever-amazing friends.

28 Then I will proclaim your justice, and I will praise you all day long.

YES INDEED. :) :) :)