Saturday, December 17, 2011

Tire-d

Today I had my second flat tire within a week's time. I had a moment. "I'm not tithing anymore; where are the blessings and the protection? I'll just save the freaking money and put it toward my rent." Etcetera etcetera.

I was frustrated.

But I pulled out my spare and my jack and my 4-way lug wrench... and got to work.

After having worked for about 5 minutes, a guy walked up and asked if I needed help. Black guy with long dreds, a baseball cap, and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Bud Lite pajama pants, tennis shoes and a windbreaker. I said, "I'm working on this tire. But if you're offering to help, that would be great."

I have learned... to accept help. I know I can change a tire... I know I'm not a wimpy dandelion of a helpless female... I know this... but I don't have to prove that to anyone. And if this guy's offering to help... hey, go ahead. Heh :)

He got my spare on for me. I thanked him with utmost sincerity. As he was walking away, he said, "My name's David."

"I'm Nicole. Thank you so much."

Immediately, once in the car, I started asking God to bless David, to meet his needs, to handle any problems in his life. And it occurred to me... maybe David needed prayer. Maybe that's why God allowed the flat tire.

Maybe?

So I drove and prayed more for David, still resentful that I was about to have to cough up MORE money for ANOTHER tire.

I went to the same used tire place I went before... they are nice, they seem honest, and their prices are great. "Weren't you just here the other day?" (Nicole swallows pride...) "Yep, that was me."

The guy who runs the shop said, "Aw, well if you were just here the other day, we won't charge you for this one."

Further discourse, concluding that I was going to get a replacement tire, mounted and put on at zero charge to me.

I didn't even ask for it. He just offered it.

More profuse thank-you's came out of me.

Humbled.

Wow.

God takes care of me. That was amazing.

Maybe David just needed prayer. And maybe Nicole needed to learn a lesson too.