Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Where I Am

I've been thinking, and have almost concluded, that I am not in my "place" in life right now. Or yet... I haven't decided. I don't feel like I really "fit" in most places I find myself lately. I am uncomfortable with myself, particularly my appearance, and wish for a place I felt more of the same and not such a constant reminder that I am not "as"... skinny, pretty, nicely dressed... whatever. I dress how I like, and though other women might look cute as pie in their tight skirts and little pointy-heeled hybrids between rodeo/snow boots and pumps... ...that is not me. I would not be comfortable trying to look like Reese Witherspoon. My style does not really fall under one umbrella term... I dress like me, that's about it.

I think I want to go live somewhere on a farm full of lesbians. Where we are valued for things different from things for which the "society" entity values people. Where the value of a woman is not her hairstyle and how nicely her makeup is done but how she contributes to society in real ways, tangible and intangible... not just in terms of aesthetics.

I read a book about that once... those lesbian festivals where women are just free to BE... and even walk around shirtless, which we are not permitted to do in society.

I did take my shirt off once in a gay bar. I was irritated because some of the guys were shirtless and preening around in front of each other... it just seemed so stupid... so off came my shirt and I continued to play pool in my bra. The other 3 girls there with me were horribly mortified and begged me to put my shirt back on. I finally did, but not happily.

I want the freedom to walk around with my shirt off and my belly bulging over my pants. Not because it's attractive
- because it is SO not - but because it's an inequality against women. I'm sick of people being shocked and appalled at simple, really inconsequential things. Get over it. Just live your life, let me live mine, and look the other way if you don't like it.