Thursday, February 7, 2019

I Think I Might Have Found a New Church

Let me tell you about the church I have gone to a few times recently.

This is a United Methodist Church.  I grew up going to a UMC with my grandparents.  Familiar with the traditions, I know the Lord's Prayer, the Doxology, the Apostle's Creed and the Gloria Patri.  I remember, as a kid, always wondering why Ms. Dot got up every Sunday and asked for "tides and offerings."  My grandmother always gave me a dollar to put in the plate, and I did so with a really great feeling of happiness.

As a teenager, I became part of a full-gospel, non-denominational, Spirit-filled, charismatic church.  I learned a lot there and built up a strong relationship with God.  This was (and still is) an amazing church.  I just can't really go there anymore unless I were to be... delivered of gay-ness demons... but I have no demons; I just have love.  I love Lena.  God loves me.  God loves Lena.  God loves "me and Lena."  But I digress...

At that large charismatic church, I gained a nice big load of prejudices, you might say.  I don't know if their intention was to teach me exactly what it was I learned, but I developed a strong sense of "our way is the only right way."  If a person did not "get saved," go kneel at the altar and publicly accept Jesus, they were "not saved."  If a person belonged to a church with an official membership roster, they obviously were "religious" but did not have a "relationship" with God, and most likely viewed their name on the church membership as their document guaranteeing salvation.

I developed the attitude that any church who did not worship as enthusiastically as my church, who did not have people baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues... was a church full of simply religious but "lost" people who were assuming their good works would get them into heaven.

Well.

My life has rounded many corners since those days.  When I could no longer deny my sexuality, it was a United Methodist minister who welcomed me into her office with open arms and told me her favorite picture of Jesus was one that showed Him laughing and happy; not frowning and judging.

After many years, a number of residences and a handful of other churches, I found myself living within walking distance of a small-to-moderately-sized UMC.  The first few times I visited, I didn't get a whole lot out of it.  Recently, though, it kept coming to my mind that I might go back.  I have been kindling a desire to be a part of something again... beyond my job... with like-minded people.

I went to church down the street last Sunday and I genuinely, truly enjoyed the service.  I felt the presence of God - I'm familiar with the sense of God's Spirit being in a place where God is honored.  I learned from the message, heard a scripture reading and sang a number of hymns (focusing not so much on "how many verses do we have left" but, rather, on the LYRICS... which rang deep and true with me).  I was greeted by a NUMBER of people.  I left feeling... feeling WANTED.  Feeling embraced.  Feeling I had just spent some time visiting my Father God.

It's addictive, you might say.  *smile*

Last night, I went to a meeting there called the Crochet Ministry.  Anyone interested comes to this meeting where they crochet hats for premature babies, scarves for deployed servicemen and women, prayer shawls and small blankets for the elderly... and it was just so nice.  I have a few new names to remember and also was given a book for their Sunday School class!

I want to go!

I want to go back.

I like feeling a part of something, and I like feeling wanted.

The people at this church are KIND.  They do not have flashy, explosive worship services with lights and screens and a band; they have a piano and a choir and hymnals.  They keep it SIMPLE.

These people I've met are good people.  They know Jesus; they name Him as their Lord and Savior.  They walk humbly, like the Bible says, and welcome anyone to join them.  Even gay people.  How 'bout that?  *another smile*

Sometimes, what may seem to some like "less" is actually far more.

I'm not signing my name in permanent ink; I'm just saying...

I felt a thick peace as I walked home last night.  I talked to God while I walked.  I left with a beautiful sense of love and truth.

I think I will go back.

Be well!!