Sunday, April 10, 2016

Feed My Sheep

For a long time now, I have had a strong desire to reach out to the homeless.  I am not a multi-millionaire but I am WEALTHY compared to so many others who lack just the basics.  Like food.  Like warm clothes in the winter.  Like a home.  Like basic healthcare.  Like eye glasses, for goodness sake!  Like a TOOTHBRUSH.


You get my point.


I often think about how great it would be to go around with a cooler full of sandwiches and just hand them out to homeless people.  At the same time, the thought of doing something like that also scares the socks off me; what if I approached someone who attacked or hurt me?  Some homeless people I've encountered are just normal, nice, unfortunate people.  Some are a little off their rockers, mentally, but are otherwise harmless.  And some are SCARY.


So I thought, a group... definitely something best done in a group.  So that has been sitting on the back burner in my mind along with all my other "good ideas to do someday,"

Right now, I am in the first few weeks of a 6-month period I have declared for myself, committing to be more active in my church, study the Bible and pray about what direction God has for me next in the ministry that is my life.


So, fast forward to this week.


On my job, sometimes I work on tasks that have my hands busy but leave my mind more free.  There is a minister whose messages just feed my soul and spirit until I feel fat!  When I'm able, I like to pull up a sermon on YouTube from Rev. Terri Steed Pierce of Joy MCC in Fłorida and listen while I work. I respect Rev. Terri and do not at all intend to put her on a pedestal, but I would like to share how, in the course of just a few days and through the content of just a few sermons, God chose to use her words to carry His message to me.  


1.  Many things about stepping into a new area of ministry can seem scary. The responsibility. The commitment. The expectations of others. All that scares me to death; makes me want to jump in bed and hide under the covers. I question all the time my ability to do this; to do it RIGHT; to carry it through.


In one sermon I listened to this week, Rev. Terri said that true dependence is attempting something large enough that failure is GUARANTEED unless God steps in. 


Yes, Lord.



2.  Still questioning myself... you might say I was kind of "Going Moses," heh... can this really happen? Am I the one who is supposed to take this on? 


And my ears hear, "God didn't call someone else to do what God has called YOU to do."


Yes, Lord.


3.  Seriously. I am not kidding. Rev. Terri told a story of her niece and the niece's friend seeing a homeless man... questioning whether approaching him might be safe, deciding to trust God, going to get this man, then buying him a meal in a restaurant. And finding he was a really nice man who hadn't had a good meal in weeks and JUST NEEDED TO BE TREATED LIKE A HUMAN.


That was a goose bumps moment for me.


Yes, yes, Lord.


4.  And I'm doing my work, listening to thes sermons, when I hear God's little megaphone say, "I believe there are three ways God wants us to feed people."


My head shot up and I had to laugh! 


Yes, Lord. Loud and clear.


5,  I've been thinking about all the needs homeless people have. Wondering if just a sandwich once a week is enough for me to do. Feeling very inadequate and substantially overwhelmed.  And I heard something to the effect of, "You can't meet all their needs, but do what you can with what you have." And something to the effect of, "Jesus fed thousands on the lunch of one little boy who was willing to share what he had."


Yes, Lord. It's YOU IN me, not just me.  Yes, Lord.


6.  And to top it all off, (maybe God just wanted to MAKE SURE I was taking Him seriously), I hear Rev. Terri share a story of a team from her church following God's call and going to a rough part of their town to hand out food, coats and blankets.


Boom... There goes the dynamite.  💣


SO.  I got started.  First thing I did was post a survey online to gather data on where the most homeless people usually are and who might be interested in being a part of this outreach.


A couple of friends mentioned to me that they knew of groups already working on feeding homeless people. I want to talk to these people, get tips from them, and find out which areas they go to so as not to duplicate efforts and reach people who might not be getting help.



I also went online and discovered an agency called Capital Area Association for the Homeless. I made a donation to become a member of this group and marked my calendar to go to their monthly meetings.  I feel a strong push in that direction, that this agency is where I am to get started.

I'm excited. Seriously anticipatory, and eager to see what God is going to do! I mean, after all, He went to great lengths to make it abundantly clear to me that THIS IS WHAT NICOLE IS SUPPOSED TO DO. (YES!!!)

Like Rev. Terri often says, "I love me some Jesus!"

So, if I might summarize this blog entry, I will do it in honor of The Most Right Reverend Terri Steed Pierce... and do so using...

Three Points.  😄

1.  God has something important for you to do... and it's something for YOU to do.

2.  God knows your worries, insecurities and concerns. You don't have to feel ashamed. And if you listen, you will hear Him address those concerns directly and specifically. As many times as it takes.

3.  My prayer for myself is that I might speak God's words; not just my own. And I hope you pray that for yourself as well.

Because you never know when God will use the words you speak... to speak directly into someone else's life.

Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


John 21:15After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?e
“Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.”
“Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.
16Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.”
“Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.
17A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep."